Pages

Saturday 5 January 2013

Algebra Tiles

In Anne's Algebra sessions we were introduced to Algebra Tiles.
Using algebra tiles to express (a+b)(a+b)


The templates for these can be found here. Acadia list a number of ways that they can be used, which can be accessed here. A few applications are found below:

COLLECTING LIKE TERMS



EXPANDING BRACKETS

X2R3
R2R23R
24R6


UPDATE: 22/05/2013
Having used these with a Year 9 class where the general teaching style is less exploratory and more methodical, I received the following feedback (food for thought!)
  • confusing because they weren't labelled
  • didn't need them
  • gave me one more thing to remember
  • distracting for some students
  • helped me a little but confused me compared to the way I already knew it
  • they helped me solve equations
  • I could literally see the equation and understood it better
  • gave me a visual way of doing the sum
  • interactive and helpful to get started with the grid method
  • easier to understand the method we were using